Friday, May 31, 2013

Still Surprising Myself

Colton and I have been loving our walks.  Tomorrow is supposed to reach 100 degrees for the first time this summer.  That's okay, I'm up at all hours, so we will just fit it in earlier.  With his sun cover shading his stroller seat, there was a surprising silence followed by a loud sneeze.  Then two more.  Colton has been a three sneezer since day one.  Fun fact about him.  The last one sounded a little more wet than the other.

Naturally, I slowed my race-walker pace, and lifted the shade.  There he was, all smiles and top lip covered in precious baby slime.  Then I did the unthinkable.  Wait a sec...

You see... I DO NOT DO NASTY KID JUICES.  Moms for ages have
claimed "well it's different when it's yours."  Ya right.  That would not be me.  One girlfriend confessed to me that she (gasp) actually "liked" the smell of her newborn's poo.  Crazy train.

Then there was the time when my other girlfriend "let me feed" her son breakfast.  It consisted of mushy oatmeal and mashed banana.  Something about the mashed banana not quite making it into his mouth... I threw up in my mouth.  Could not handle it.  I knew this messy, gooey part of raising a child was going to be a problem when it came time.

So there I was, away from home, with nothing to wipe his face.  Without thinking, I reached down and did a two finger swipe.  Then I went back in for more!  Looking at the collection, I did "the mom wipe."  You know all moms have stains on their pants and shorts approximately one arm's length down and six inches behind on the dominant pant leg.  This is so it's out of sight, out of mind.  You are still ready for an impromptu photo, and who is really looking at your butt these days anyway?  (Oh hubby?  He gets it and is thankful for "the mom wipe" otherwise, it would be him discarding of the juices).

I couldn't believe it.  I did it without thinking.  When was I injected with the OKAY WITH THIS drug?  Did it happen at the hospital?  Ha.  As my sister put it recently: "Noelle, I love that you are still surprising yourself."  No kidding.



1 comment: